The church was designed by Edward Welby Pugin (son of Augustus Welby Pugin) and built between 1873 - 1876 to replace a chapel in the grounds which now forms part of St Joseph's High School.
It was the home of Benedictine Monks from St Laurence's Monastery, Ampleforth for 199 years before being given over to the Roman Catholic Diocese of Lancaster in 2009. It has a distinctive large vaulted interior designed to enhance musical and liturgical acoustics.
Situated close to Workington town centre and set in extensive grounds, surrounded by mature trees, the church of Our Lady Star of the Sea & St Michael is designed in Gothic Revival (Early English) style.
Above the front door is a bellcote below which is a large carved stone crucifix, a carving of Our Lady Star of the Sea and a carved tympanum depicting the Coronation of Our Lady.
Spectacular stained glass
Social heritage stories
National heritage here
Bus stop within 100m
Level access to the main areas
Car park at church
Accessible toilets in church
Café in church
* Open all day every day.
Stone circle is now incomplete and has a modern wall cutting through it, incorporating…
Award winning family attraction on historic Maryport harbourside. All day tickets for 70+…
Roman museum displaying the internationally significant collection of Romano-British…
A fine example of a Georgian church, which has been sympathetically modernised.
Award winning attraction, The Rum Story, is the worlds first exhibition depicting the…
Situated on Whitehaven's attractive harbour side, The Beacon is home to interactive…
Receive all the latest news, special offers and information from the Lake District, Cumbria
Cumbria Tourism, Windermere Road, Staveley, Kendal, Cumbria, LA8 9PL
© Cumbria Tourism