Striking in its symmetry with its central round headed doorway between by matching round headed windows, Cautley Wesleyan chapel is a good example of its type and date.
In rural areas, Methodist chapels tend to be small and plain mainly due to difficulty in obtaining land for building and limited finance, therefore Methodist Chapels seldom have graveyards. However, in the western dales, the often remote locations and availability of land made graveyards possible.
Cautley Wesleyan Chapel roadside site cost just £10 6s 8d and the graveyard has been extended on at least three occasions. Built in 1845 it was opened two years before St Mark’s, the Anglican church in Cautley.
The interior of the building is small yet spacious, with brightly painted tiered seats and walls hung with expression work.
Social heritage stories
Level access to the main areas
Car park at church
Café in church
* Open every day 9am to 5pm.
Farfield Mill is a Victorian woollen mill in the Yorkshire Dales. Home to artists’…
Set in the heart of Sedbergh in a beautifully maintained churchyard the church, which…
Brigflatts, near Sedbergh, Cumbria, is one of the most famous Quaker meeting houses,…
Cautley chapel was built in the early 1860s by the Upton family, when the London and…
Situated in the beautiful valley of Dentdale, Cumbria yet within the boundary of the…
The Lake once supplied water to the Lancaster and Kendal Canal; The 37 acre lake is…
Receive all the latest news, special offers and information from the Lake District, Cumbria
Cumbria Tourism, Windermere Road, Staveley, Kendal, Cumbria, LA8 9PL
© Cumbria Tourism