Cautley chapel was built in the early 1860s by the Upton family, when the London and North Western Railway was building its Ingleton branch and sent a Scripture Reader to the navvies.
Attached to a cottage, it is a plain building perhaps designed by a railway engineer; but inside a delightful and colourful series of stained glass windows by Frederick George Smith depict river scenes, trees and plants, as well as birds and animals found locally. These were installed in about 1900 when the church was refurnished.
Spectacular stained glass
Social heritage stories
Bus stop within 100m
Level access to the main areas
On street parking at church
Parking within 250m
Accessible toilets nearby
Walkers & cyclists welcome
Space to secure your bike
* Open daily.
Brigflatts, near Sedbergh, Cumbria, is one of the most famous Quaker meeting houses,…
Set in the heart of Sedbergh in a beautifully maintained churchyard the church, which…
The Lake once supplied water to the Lancaster and Kendal Canal; The 37 acre lake is…
Farfield Mill is a Victorian woollen mill in the Yorkshire Dales. Home to artists’…
Striking in its symmetry with its central round headed doorway between by matching round…
Situated in the beautiful valley of Dentdale, Cumbria yet within the boundary of the…
Receive all the latest news, special offers and information from the Lake District, Cumbria
Cumbria Tourism, Windermere Road, Staveley, Kendal, Cumbria, LA8 9PL
© Cumbria Tourism