Situated in the beautiful valley of Dentdale, Cumbria yet within the boundary of the Yorkshire Dales National Park, this Grade II building was originally built as a meeting house by the Society of Friends in 1701.
Originally the Society of Friends had built a meeting house in 1701 on this site with adjoining land. After Methodism was reintroduced into the dale in 1803 by Jonathan Kershaw, the Wesleyans used to meet in an old barn, bought for £40 and used for worship. By 1834 this had become in such bad repair as to be unsafe, and they bought for £20 the meeting house and land from the Quakers. Since then this building has been in continuous use, first by the Wesleyans and then, after Union in September 1933, by both Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists. After joining with Deepdale, the combined Society is now named 'Dentdale Methodist Church'.
Social heritage stories
Level access to the main areas
On street parking at church
Parking within 250m
Accessible toilets nearby
Walkers & cyclists welcome
Space to secure your bike
* Open every day 9am to 5pm.
Farfield Mill is a Victorian woollen mill in the Yorkshire Dales. Home to artists’…
Set in the heart of Sedbergh in a beautifully maintained churchyard the church, which…
Striking in its symmetry with its central round headed doorway between by matching round…
Brigflatts, near Sedbergh, Cumbria, is one of the most famous Quaker meeting houses,…
Cautley chapel was built in the early 1860s by the Upton family, when the London and…
Circle has a diameter of 60' and stands on a flattened mound or platform. There are 20…
Receive all the latest news, special offers and information from the Lake District, Cumbria
Cumbria Tourism, Windermere Road, Staveley, Kendal, Cumbria, LA8 9PL
© Cumbria Tourism