The church is situated centrally in Keswick and stands out by virtue of its tall spire. The site for this church commands superb views of the surrounding Lakeland hills. It was chosen by the founder, John Marshall, Lord of the Manor of Castlerigg. He was a friend of William Wordsworth who influenced his choice of the position, ensuring that the graceful spire might be seen from miles around.
The architect was Anthony Salvin (1799-1881). The material he selected for the outer walls was soft pink sandstone from quarries in the Eden valley but the main structure was of local stone.
The east and southeast stained glass windows were designed by the pre Raphaelite painter and stained glass artist Henry Holliday. Those on the south wall were designed by Victoria Whall, a key figure in the modern history of stained glass.
The banner hanging in the north side of the church was made by the famous sculptress and artist Josefina de Vasconcellas.
Spectacular stained glass
Level access throughout
Parking within 250m
Accessible toilets in church
Café within 500m
Space to secure your bike
* Open all day during daylight hours.
Friendly, contemporary Keswick-based art gallery in the heart of the Northern Lake…
Come and visit our brewery to find out more about us and the beers we make. Only a 2…
Treasures and tales of the north lakes in a beautiful Lakeland slate building in Fitz…
Keswick Launch offers 50-minute cruises around Derwentwater. Rowing boats and motor boats…
Gallery 26 houses the work of the well known artist, Nelsonn, a painter and sculptor who…
Located in Keswick, the home of the first pencil, visitors enter this museum through a…
Receive all the latest news, special offers and information from the Lake District, Cumbria
Cumbria Tourism, Windermere Road, Staveley, Kendal, Cumbria, LA8 9PL
© Cumbria Tourism